Date and Coconut Cookie Recipe
The Smile, which opened in March 2009, is a cozy, subterranean café on picturesque Bond Street in Downtown Manhattan. Located in a landmark 1830s Federal-style townhouse, the café is firmly rooted in the local community and serves as a clubhouse of sorts serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
One of their most popular desserts is the Date and Coconut Cookie.
You might want to try this dish for your next bake sale or party.
Date and Coconut Cookie
By Rosanne Smith of The Smile
1 cup wheat germ
- In a large bowl, whisk together wheat germ, all-purpose flour, rolled oats, shredded coconut, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Add the dates to the dry ingredients and evenly disperse the pieces of diced dates with your hands. Set mixture aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and dark brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract until combined.
- Then add the eggs, one at a time, until combined, making sure to scrape down the bowl between additions.
- Once the eggs are incorporated, add the flour mixture with the mixer running on the lowest speed in two batches. Stop the mixer as soon as the dry ingredients are incorporated and then finish mixing the dough by hand with a spatula.
- Portion the dough using an ice cream scoop so that all the cookies are the same size. Chill the portioned dough for 30 minutes in the refrigerator so that the dough can firm up.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After 30 minutes, place the portioned cookies onto the baking sheet evenly spaced and top each cookie with about a tablespoon of the untoasted coconut chips.
- Bake for 6 minutes, rotate the tray of cookies, and then bake for another 6 to 8 minutes until the cookies are a nice golden brown color. Allow the cookies to cool completely and then sprinkle with a small amount of confectioners’ sugar.
1 cup all-purpose flour
11/2 cups rolled oats
11/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1 T baking powder
1 T baking soda
1 T salt
3/4 T orange zest
3/4 cup medjool dates, pitted and diced
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup plus 2 T dark brown sugar
1 T vanilla extract
Coconut chips, untoasted